How can I print all parts of oversize cards!....desperately

Kresten Bjerg Kresten.Bjerg at psy.ku.dk
Mon Nov 14 21:05:10 EST 2005

Thanks for suggestions

Jacqueline wrote:
>There's been some discussion about the limitation, which apparently
>occurs only on OS X. Here is one post about it:

><http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-October/046011.html>

>You may have to try tiling the image. That is, create several snapshots
>instead of just one, and then import them as separate images and set
>their edges to touch.

But those problems are of another kind. They are concerned with very large images,
surpassing 4096 x 4096.  The total card area in our case is well within these limits,
the problem comes from the fact that 6 screensize windows with horizontal hrect  < 2000 can print,
while 3 where horizontal rect lies from app 2000 to 3072 cannot !

>There are several ways to bring images into a stack.

>1. You can create a blank image and then set its imagedata from a file
>on disk as you are doing now. This stores the image data in the stack
>and increases stack size, so you'll want to empty the images when you
>are done with them. ("set the imagedata of img 1 to empty").

Well, this is where we fail:
"If phenowindow is gardenwindow then
export snapshot from rect 10,30,900,704 to screenbuff
- - (in this case we have to use relative rects,
contrary to when we use the print this card formula for the other 6 windows)

go stack printbuffer
set the imagedata of image "Bufferimage" to screenbuff
end if"
ALAS, this does produce a change of the before empty image "Bufferimage",
but a totally messed up one, where you cannot recognize the structures of the window being snapshotted.

So we need a way to ensure, that these data are interpreted in the right way.
There is something about "binfile" which may be relevant. But we would like not to go around the further complication
of creating a separate imagefile, so the variable "screenbuff" should be enough.
therefore

>just to import them
>directly:
>import paint from file "mySnapshot.jpeg"..........
.
should be unnessecary

>...... "referenced" image.

also unnessecary

x>If you decide you need to tile the images .......

should be a waste of energy, as the images are no more than screen size-

>That said, I wonder why you want to print an actual screen image. If you
>are printing diary information, wouldn't it be better to print just the
>text? Will your users really want a printout of all the buttons and
>window borders?

Certainly the printout of diary text is primary. But the user has so many options
for design ( and updating) representing  various topologies of their lifespace,
(Home, family, garden, neighbourhood, workplace etc )and distribution of pictogram-(glyph) buttons,
relative to these topologies, that they shall be able - now and then -
to get printouts of their present organisation.
Also, one window shows the distribution of glyph-entries over all the 10-minute intervals of the day.
This may, for some users, for special days, be nice to have in hard copy.

P.S.  In order to have postings to this site posted "into the thread" does one have to
subscribe to the list?

best regards
kresten