The Final Lowdown on RR, AIF files and Ubuntu 5.10

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sun Nov 13 12:23:11 EST 2005

I downloaded the RR 2.6.1 Linux 30 day trial and installed
it into one of my Ubuntu boxes.

WOW - a big Thank You to RunRev for these new capabilities!

(Yes, Richmond Mathewson IS saying Thank You!)

2.6.1 plays AIF files on Ubuntu without BL**DY Xanim (and,
believe me, it is very, very bl**dy)

HOWEVER - the nasty bit is that RR plays AIF files at
double speed in Ubuntu - so my 'sexy, masculine voice'
(cough, cough, cough) sounds like Mickey Mouse on Crack
Cocaine.

Having managed to successfully antagonise the Ubuntu
community (No, Richmond, antagonise anybody - surely not)
about the problem with AIF files (which also go wonky with
native Ubuntu apps) - they say it is a RR problem only; and
therefore the ball lies in RR's court (a view I do not
agree with) - I took the road of least resistence and
slowed all my AIF files down to half speed - they now play
in RR on Ubuntu and sound as they should.

I should be very ngrateful if anybody has access to Ubuntu
or Kubuntu to try playing AIF files imported either from
Mac or Win - and sent observations about the results to
kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com : and while you are at it
have a bash at playing a WAV file!

RR advertises 'seamless' transport of files cross-platform:
and with regard to Linux this is not entirely true - but,
at least as far as Ubuntu is concerned, part of the fault
seems to lie with Ubuntu.

Sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html