Why doesn't this script work?

Stephen Paul McNutt stephenmcnutt at mac.com
Sun Nov 13 22:14:18 EST 2005

Here's a script I use to set the defaultFolder property for a
standalone.  The part for OSX works perfectly, but the part for Win32
doesn't.  I've placed all those answer commands in there to check
variable and property values as I go.

local ldefaultFolder
     if the environment <> "development" then
       answer the platform
       answer the defaultFolder
       if the platform = "MacOS" then
         put defaultFolder into ldefaultFolder
         put "/Classroom Quizshow.app/Contents/MacOS" after
ldefaultFolder
         set the defaultFolder to ldefaultFolder
         answer the defaultFolder
       end if
       if the platform = "Win32" then
         put defaultFolder into ldefaultFolder
         put "/CQdata" after ldefaultFolder
         answer ldefaultFolder
         set the defaultFolder to ldefaultFolder
         answer the defaultFolder
       end if
     end if

Note that the answer command 5 lines from the bottom returns the name
of the correct folder I'm trying to make the defaultFolder, but the
answer command 3 lines from the bottom returns the same thing minus "/
CQdata".  What the heck?  I even copied "ldefaultFolder" in the 5th
line from the bottom and pasted it over the same word in the 4th line
from the bottom just to make doubly sure I didn't have a typo.
Again, the MacOS part works as expected and produced the proper
defaultFolder property value for the OS X standalone.