QT anomaly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 10 21:41:33 EST 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:

>>>You still might consider implementing the fix if you're distributing your
>>>stack/app to multiple parties as this will make player performance more
>>>reliable.
>>>
>>>In any event, you say the difference between your setup and and you client's
>>>is the user name.  Is it possible something is going on there?  Maybe some
>>>non-Roman characters in the name or something else?
>>
>>That's one difference, but does not appear to be a significant one --
>>his name is straight ASCII, verified in my log file.
>>
>>Looking at other, stranger possibilities, I had him check his drives
>>free space and SMART status -- both ok.
>>
>>This one's a stumper.  I know there's an answer, but I just haven't
>>discovered the secret to finding it....
>

> Just out of curiosity, did you try the space fix mentioned above to see if
> it made any difference?  I understand that from all appearances it shouldn't
> have any effect, but we've all seen the reality of
> "it shouldn't, but it does...".

I did have him remove the space in the file name, but still no go.

I haven't yet sent him a new build with the URL syntax because I'm
trying not to overload him with downloading and testing stuff.

If he's using US English I'm at a loss to understand why the URL syntax
could come into play, and before I saddle him with another 2MB download
it would be helpful to have Mark Waddingham or someone else familiar
with the underpinnings explain why that might be useful.

The customer is in Canada, so he may have different language settings
that I have here.  I've just sent him a note to ask which language his
OS is set to.

When we're looking at file names in straight ASCII and which are short,
under what circumstances would the URL syntax be helpful?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation