The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Nov 10 13:12:00 EST 2005

Dan,

Do you remember Phillips CDI initiative, or the many other CD-ROM
developer platforms? They all made grand promises but never delivered.

Even more recently, think about Java and it's promise of cross-platform
clients? Again, everyone had to stop and convert over to Java, but now
we see it's only a great server tool, not for clients.

Then there is the ubiquitous 'Web Services.' They have been touted by
the press and media for the past 5 years as the 'new technology', yet we
still see very little in the way of open web services available to write
apps around. Certainly not the cornucopia the analysts led us to believe
was coming.

So, this just seems like another one of the 'jump on the bandwagon' type
of technologies, which has promise, but doesn't deliver.

And your notions about 'specialized browsers' and discounting Andre's
server development issues so quickly only points to the great hurdles
which AJAX still has to make, currently with no visible roadmap.

My suggestion, is try and develop a full AJAX application, then get back
to us on what you find. My gut tells me it's a lot more difficult than
doing the same in Rev. For me, just like the other mentioned
technologies, I'll wait and see.

(Let's see, to develop in AJAX, you probably need to be an expert in the
following:
Javascript
HTML
CSS
PHP,ASP or JSP
SQL
DOM XML
cross-platform techniques
cross-browser techniques
ODBC

Wow! That's a lot.)

I, too, like the idea of very thin clients. But as you know, they've
been tried before, and before, and failed. Perhaps the underlying reason
they fail has nothing to do with software availablility, but rather the
requirement for some users to work 'off the net' and most users to 'own
their own data.'

best,
Chipp