Synchronization puzzle - take care!

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Nov 9 21:03:45 EST 2005

David Bovill wrote:

> Thanks for posting this Alex - word of warning and feature request
> for RunRev - or is as ever there a way I haven't spotted?
>
> First the warning - downloading the stack "Networked Address Book"
> from revOnline automatically asked me to locate x,y, z - can't
> remember - to which I naturally said no - then got myslef into an
> endless loop of answer dialogues!

This is a rough edge I wasn't expecting anything as fundamental as this.

It turns out there is an initialization problem (which of course I
haven't seen - haven't installed this on a new machine since January).

The start-up sequence is

> 1. read prefs file
> 1a. if there is no prefs file, prompt user for basic data and create one
>    (basic data = machine name and folder to store address book files in)
> 2. read data file(s)
> 2a. if there is no data file, create an empty one and store it in the
> folder specified in the prefs file
>
> repeat the above steps until both files can be read OK.

Problem 1.
I was omitting step 2a :-(
Now fixed (v 0.9.4, already uploaded to revonline)

Problem 2.
This will not work in the Player in secure mode.
Since there's not much point in an Address Book that can't store its
data, I'm not going to worry about this.

Problem 3.
Even in non-Secure mode, it doesn't work properly in the Player.
Works fine in the IDE, or as a standalone - but not in the Player.

Since it's not an app that I would expect anyone to run, rather than
borrow parts of the script, getting it to work in the Player is not a
priority,  I'll look into it when I have time, and if appropriate open a
BZ. For now, please download it from revonline using the IDE.

> Now the question is  - is there a way to cancel an answer dialogue?
> Command period does not work - unless you are lucky and the script
> loop is long - sometimes I manage to break out. I think it would be
> very useful if there was a way to do this as the only way I know is
> to force quit and loose all your unsaved data!
>
> Easy to do - done it many times myself !

Sorry about the problems. I find it's one of the biggest problems with
Rev's "live IDE" style - it's so hard to ensure that you are properly
emulating a "cold start".