The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 9 19:25:10 EST 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
> And if you haven't yet  seen
> Writely, I suggest you check it out; the day of the service- based word
> processor is soon to be here.

I did.  One word:  "Eeewww".  :)

As for the getting illustrators to draw in a web browser, or anyone else
to let Microsoft force them to hand over data storage to them, we'll see.

I'll go so far as to say I see the field growing, definitely.  But I
don't see it completely replacing desktop apps until the Internet is
truly ubiquitous and we access it through heads-up displays on small
systems in our shirt pocket.

So maybe in 10 years, but I'm not ditching all my apps on until then.

I see the world as big enough for both.  But to say it all must be only
one way sounds too much like Microsoft just overcorrecting a bad turn....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation