The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Nov 9 19:16:42 EST 2005

Richard....

You said, quoting from your wonderful "Beyond the Browser" piece:

    "Many articles have been published extolling the
     virtues of Browser-based applications, but few
    (if any) of these were written in one...”

Beg to differ. The Winer blog post that released these articles, the
blog post that I found that pointed me to them and my blog post were
all written in a browser-based application. And if you haven't yet
seen Writely, I suggest you check it out; the day of the service-
based word processor is soon to be here.

On Nov 9, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> As long as folks use local data, there will be desktop apps.

There is no necessary connection between where data is and where the
app is. That's just today's temporary model.

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com