Sound in Linux

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sat Nov 5 05:25:08 EST 2005

Having spent some time on the first cycle of my EFL system
development - making the stacks using my licensed version
of Dreamcard - I popped them onto my "new" PC (PIII, 600
MHz, 128 MB RAM - Kubuntu 5.10) - A BIG THANK YOU TO NOVELL
for FREE RR 2.2.1 - and when I clicked on the button "Brown
Cow" instead of hearing my growly voice saying "Brown Cow"
(No rocket science round here - just English for 6 year-old
Bulgarians) I heard something very like a cat being run
over by a truck . . .

Hard science: recorded the sound on a Mac using the Sound
Studio program that came bundled with the 10.2 install -
Mono, 44.000, AIFF

I suspect this is not the right format for Linux, but can
find nothing in either RR or MC documentation.

More rests on this than my poxy little language school as
the resulting programs (standalones) for Linux will be
uploaded to Ubuntu for distribution in Africa (Mind you, I
can't help feeling sorry for the poor Africans having to
put up with my Brown Cows).

I hope, hope, hope that I can get sound to behave in Linux
without resort to the superannuated and crappy xanim. And,
Mike Talluto, as my name is mud in RR circles (!!!) I
cannot get into Bugzilla, etc. and say my piece about movie
files and so forth with RR/MC in Linux.

I suppose the bottom line is that I shall have to have a
very dirty weekend embedding every possible sound
configuration I can think of in a stack on the Mac and them
messing around with it on the Kubuntu PC - although a
little voice tells me that this  is rather inefficient.

I would be extremely grateful for any help in this area.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html