OT Auto run CDs on the PC

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 5 16:52:57 EST 2005

Jeffrey Reynolds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if folks had an opinion about auto running multimedia
> applications on CD-ROMS on windows. It was the rage in the hay days of
> CD-ROMs, but then seemed to peter out. We still get feedback from PC
> users that they cant figure out how to find the cd and the application
> on a cd when inserted on a windows machine. in the past we have done
> printed blow-in instructions with the cd on how to go to my computer to
> pull up the cd.
>
> The auto run is obnoxious in my opinion. the popup window on xp allows
> you to open the cd in windows explorer, but its a confusing list for the
> non computer savvy. the other rub is there are other files like the read
> me and lesson plans on the cdrom that the user might want to get at and
> with auto run they have to quit the app to do that.

The auto-run feature in Windows represents a serious security hole, one
that Mac OS closed after QT v2.0.

That said, it's become so prevalent that I find if I don't use it
customers call our tech support wondering why nothing happens when they
put the CD in.

With any Windows CD-ROM deliverable we make here, we have a simple menu
application in the root directory that's auto-launched on startup, with
buttons to display any Read Me or other files, and of course a button to
install/run the main app.

Yes, it's silly and for end-users it's potentially dangerous. And yes,
without it your customers will be confused and your tech support will go
through the roof.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal