My Prototype update!

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 5 14:42:54 EST 2005

Hello to everyone,

It has been awhile since I was able to let you all know my progress
using Revolution as a RAD Tool (Rapid Application Development Tool)
for a Cell Phone/PDA project.

Recap:
We had a Macromedia Director 'expert' do a prototype for us a year or
two ago. It is a GUI for small screen handheld devices and smart
phones. Anyway the further along we got in the project it seemed our
MM Director guy was having difficulty getting us what we needed. It
was either too difficult to do or was too difficult to comprehend and
we needed to continually re-explain what we wanted. Whatever happened
to 'trying' to figure out what the client wants rather than trying to
explain how it can't be done that way? Anyway, We had a series of
games that needed to be done to show our interface in a gaming
scenario. After being told how difficult it would be a few times I
decided to pull the plug on Director as a tool to get these
prototypes done. I decided to tackle them in Revolution.

I was able to recreate the 'engine' to drive our system in just under
a week (it took our MM Director guy several months) and was able to
create (using that engine) eight games to demonstrate both the use of
the engine and how our Interface works in a game environment in
another week. Yep, that's right, in two weeks I was able to create a
Database driven engine and a series of applications including an SMS
application, an Application browser, a database editor, and eight
different games. This really shows the power and usability of a
product like Revolution especially compared to MM Director.

We have been using the prototype in Rev to demonstrate to prospective
investors what our system is capable of doing and we have finally
received a few hundred thousand dollars in funding and have acquired
a couple of evangelists to our cause. We have developed an LLC and I
am now part owner of the new company. We now are using the prototype
to describe Use Case Scenarios in a visual form and to describe
Demonstration Variances and our Scope of Work documents. We are
working on a contract with some offshore developers to put our system
on a series of smart phones. The prototype is being used to describe
the Engineering Specifications for them.

I have been spending the last week and next week going over these
documents and plan on having an Engineering Deliverable Milestones
schedule and contract for this project. I have been asked to be in
charge of the testing phase as well. We will be using an emulator for
the phone environment we choose, to do this testing. We are planning
a modular approach and hope to have an early release of a test
application using our engine by March or April of 2006. We plan on
using the test applications to demonstrate and sell our system to
prospective phone/carrier/manufacturers.

Comments:
WoW, Revolution really made my job easier, It has been robust and
simple and has out shined Director for this project. We can really
use Revolution to further help us in this process of developing a
working product on a phone/pda. However, It would have been 'REALLY'
nice to be able to port the Rev project directly over to a windows CE
smart phone/PDA environment. It would save us around fifty thousand
dollars in development too. Actually if I could do that, there is a
lucrative opportunity for me to produce games and applications for
this company to use with their engine and provide a bit of money for
me. I think Revolution re-writes the book on RAD Rapid Application
Development and most of the technical people involved (Except the
Director 'Guru") have been really impressed with Revolution
especially our off-shore developers from India.

Complaints:
Unicode, Unicode, Unicode. ( which I was able to use the OS to paste
into my Database but not use Rev's filtering commands and therefor
made the Unicode not do able) And it was too late to include the web
browser since I did not have altBrowser when I first started and
there was a bug that I could not figure out in Panther so I skipped
the browser in the end. (It would have and may yet be a very cool use
of altBrowser if I can find the time to see if the bug is fixed and
learn how to implement it)

Lastly, I would not have been able to learn, understand and complete
any of this without the unlimited and useful help from everyone on
this list. I formerly thank each and every one of you. Especially I
would like to thank Richard, Dan, Jacque, Sarah, Malte, Chipp, Mark,
Alex, Geoff, Eric, Ken, Scott, and Xavier too! for all of the help
you guys and gals gave me in getting up to speed on using Transcript.
(I am sure I missed someone that helped me so I apologize now)

Thank you all,

Tom McGrath

Applications Development Director/Part Owner
SCIconics, LLC
1000 Killarney Drive
Castle Shannon, PA 15234

Owner
Lazy River Software
220 Drake Road
Bethel Park, PA 15102

Computer and Application Development Consultant
Semantic Compaction Systems
1000 Killarney Drive
Castle Shannon, PA 15234