[Slightly OT?] Why It's Hard to Explain Rev

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Nov 5 01:53:21 EST 2005

This is very TAOO ish...

> Mark Wieder wrote:
> > "Erasmatron 4 is being rebuilt from the ground up in Java
> in order to
> > enable full cross-platform compatibility."
> >
> > http://www.erasmatazz.com/Erasmatron4/Erasmatron4.html
> >
> > It's not too late to discover what true cross-platform
> compatibility
> > is like... looking at the Deikto dictionary, this seems
> like something
> > that's *very* easy to do in rev, and I wouldn't even
> attempt this in
> > java. The one nice thing about doing it in java, though, is
> that you
> > have real subclasses instead of having to fake them in xtalk.
>
> But to the end user would it matter?

Well, if a field can behave correctly because it knows it should
hold a single integer and nothing else and the developper doesn't
have to script that each time - just set a property to the field
which the rawkey handler understands, "context" in the gui does
matter!!!

> If he can build it faster in Rev and the end-user experience
> is at least as good (probably better since he could use all
> the time he saves coding beefing up the UI), it would seem
> he'd come out ahead overall.

question is "built it" = what?

Each control I create in TAOO, is the best "end-user experience"
possible in one control. Then I don’t need to rewrite that
control. When I mean create, I also mean the possibility to have
TAOO work on or with the object/control given circumstances.

Because TAOO is logically oriented and designed, it
only takes minimal effort to replicate. If you put your erasmotron
logic within verbs and objects, I got a doit handler you might
like in TAOO ;)

in one sense Richard is right - do it outright for your needs.
Rev cant be more straight forward than that. But after one year
there is a clear benefit to script reuse and improving your
daily rev experience (which is why plug ins exist for example).

In the other, the sense of "context behavior" for the end-user needs
- on a semantic or contextual level - is "nowhere" in rev. Theirs is
a table field object... a player and some more advanced objects
but in the sense of an ide, it remains (and it should remain so)
unconcerned with user-objects.

The erasmotron is a "part" of taoo... and it already works in
rev... why go look further?

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo