checking removable drives

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 3 18:24:03 EST 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> And if we do ignore that for portable apps, assuming we'd like to ship
>> a single app for both portable and installed use, how can we know
>> we're running installed so that we could write the file association
>> entry to the registry as customers would expect for a
>> hard-drive-installed app?
>

> And we're back to the original question :-)
> "I'd like to be able to determine if an app is running from a removable
> drive."

Only somewhat.  Aside from the ability to launch the app by
double-clicking a file, every other aspect of universal portability
seems to be pretty simple with Rev.

> Of course, Windows users are IMO more likely to launch the app first,
> then the doc.

We can hope so, but most of my apps support documents and my customers
would kill me if I removed that option.

Alternatively, I could safely provide that for 95% of my customers by
writing the reg entry only when the boot volume is the same as the
volume the app is running on.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal