checking removable drives

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Nov 3 16:45:53 EST 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> The only downside to self-contained apps is that there's no file-type
> association present in the host system's registry, so documents must be
> opened from within the app rather than double-clicked.  But this factor
> is independent of any method used to determine what type of drive it's
> one; it's just an inherent part of being a portable app.

With ButtonGadget having to 'register' it's filetype, I'm aware of this
issue on the PC.

Here's how I've worked around it. Everytime BG launches, it checks the
registry to make sure it's registered correctly (filepaths, filetypes,
icons, etc..).

I do this on every launch instead of during installation and it takes
only a second. Not sure how this works on Macs.