How to tell a line from a paragraph?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Nov 2 19:29:23 EST 2005

Michael wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is it possible to determine on which "line" a word resides in a text field,
> where a line is defined not as a cr-delimited paragraph but as a "row" in
> the field's display?

I wrote a function a while back that tells how many visible lines are in
a field, regardless of text wrap:

function getFldLines tFld -- get the actual number of visible lines in a
scrolling field
   -- regardless of whether they are wrapped or not.
   -- by J. Landman Gay

   put the textheight of fld tFld into txHeight
   if the style of fld tFld = "scrolling" then put the scroll of fld
tFld into theScroll
   select after text of fld tFld -- scroll to bottom
   get item 2 of the selectedLoc
   put it - the top of fld tFld + the scroll of fld tFld into pix
   select empty
   if the style of fld tFld = "scrolling" then set the scroll of fld
tFld to theScroll
   return pix div txHeight
end getFldLines

Watch out for wrapped lines in the above. You could probably modify this
to do what you want. You'd have to select before or after the word
you're looking for and use that selectedloc for the calculation rather
than scrolling to the end of the field and clicking there. If I had more
time I'd work it out for you, but let us know if you get stuck and maybe
I can fiddle with it when I get back later.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com