Problem with editable field -

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 03:06:14 EST 2005

--- William de Smet <wdesmet at wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> Thanks for the advice Troy,
>
> I've made a new data stack and linked it to the
> mainstack.
> After creating the standalone application it still
> works and that's
> what I needed.
> However now I've got two visible files under
> Windows: one .exe file
> and one .rev file.
> Mac OSX just shows one file.
>
> Chipp embeds his library substacks but he problably
> doesn't need to
> update and save, like I do.
> After reading the suggestions I believe there is no
> way to put it all
> in one file, is there?
> How can I make the distribution under WIndows more
> friendly. Do I
> need to make or use an installer?
> Until now I distributed a single .exe file.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> William de Smet

Hi William,

You've already received a suggestion to include a
'template' stack in your standalone, and to save that
as a separate stack on the user's hard drive -- on
startup, you check if the file exists; if so, you open
it; if not, you work with the template substack.

To this scenario, I'd like to add the suggestion of
saving the stack to the user's Application Data
directory on Windows (or Home directory on Unix-based
machines).
See the Transcript Dictionary for a detailed overview
of the 'specialFolderPath' function.
Be sure to check out Ken Ray's research of this
function on his excellent Revolution developer
resources site, at:
<http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/file010.htm>

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.