OT: Tiger's Interface Quirks

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat May 28 17:46:58 EDT 2005

Richard....

I must say that I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, Apple moving away from the drawer does make the app
more cross-platform compatible. OTOH, drawers are way cooler than
splitters (because, among other things, they can be relocated to the
left or right). I HATE the new Mail UI. I miss the drawer. I miss the
ability to close/open it. I miss the ability to relocate it.

Drawers are a UI improvement. For Apple to disavow them in one of its
key apps is IMNSHO a concession to mediocrity and a distasteful step
backward.

As, for that matter, was the other decision in Mail (decidedly NOT
toward standards compliance), the elimination of the mbox format for
mail. dumb.

Dan Shafer, Co-Chair
RevConWest '05
June 17-18, 2005, Monterey, California