Problem with Dialog Boxes??

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Fri May 27 10:46:01 EDT 2005

Hi Ralph,

Rev built-in "Ask" and "Answer" modal dialog use this form. It seems
to work well :-)

To understand how it works:
Create a new mainstack with a substack named myDialogBox
BTW it is always a good idea to do like that: isolate the issue in a
little stack created on the fly to understand without spoiling your
main job.
Place a button on the main stack with the following script:

on mouseUp
   modal stack "myDialogBox"
   put the dialogData
end mouseUp

Put another button on the substack with this script:

on mouseUp
   set the dialogData to random(1000)
   close this stack
end mouseUp

Run it and you will find that a random number do not appear in the
message box until you close the dialog substack :-)

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 27 mai 05 à 15:31, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. I tried it and also
> setting the style of "myDialogBox" stack to Model just prior to the
> modal stack "myDialogBox" statement.
>
> The script did not recognize the stack as a container!?
>
> I'm nearly at wits end on this problem.
>
> Does anyone have documentation on setting up Dialog Boxes and/or a
> working example  of a Dialog Box use similar to mine?
>
> It's surprising Rev. doesn't provide more info on this important
> GUI feature. I hope it's just a matter of my not looking in the
> right place rather than omission?
>
> Thanks or any assistance.
> Ralph

>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> Your handler will stop running only if you use the modal form:
>> modal stack "myDialogBox" and no modeless stack "myDialogBox" :-)
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Best regards from Paris,
>>
>> Eric Chatonet.
>>
>> Le 26 mai 05 à 20:22, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :
>>

>>> I have a main stack set up with;
>>>
>>> 1. a Button that;
>>> on mouseUp
>>> includes a few globals
>>> does a few calculations with the globals
>>> modeless "myDialogBox"
>>> does a few more calculations with the dialogData
>>> end mouseUp
>>>
>>> 2. the "myDialogBox" is a stack consisting of 1 field and
>>>  seven buttons.
>>>  the "OK"button script executes properly and delivers
>>>  the proper results to the dataDialog string
>>>
>>> My problem is that when the button executes "myDialogBox"
>>> comes up but the mouseUp continues on through the button
>>> handler - it does not stop to wait for the user input into
>>> myDialogBox and resultant dialoData string before proceeding
>>> to the rest of my button script.
>>>
>>> However, on my next button click it again brings up
>>> "myDialogBox" and uses the previous dialogData for the
>>> rest of the handler.
>>>
>>> I suspect I may have left something out of my button
>>> handler and/or my dialog box OK button script??
>>>
>>> I have scanned my documentation and can't pin down
>>> anything I've don wrong. Any help will be very much
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Ralph

So Smart Software

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86