Problems with ShutDownRequest

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:59:30 EDT 2005

On 5/25/05, Brian Yennie <briany at qldlearning.com> wrote:
> Howard,
>
> Try this:
>
> 1) create a button "shutdown" with your script in it:
>
> on ShutDownRequest
>    answer "Really, Really Quit?" with "No" or "Quit"
>    if it is "Quit" then pass ShutDownRequest
> end ShutDownRequest
>
> 2) hide the button
>
> 3) add this to your standalone:
>
> on startup
>      insert the script of btn "shutdown" into back
> end startup
>
> This should save you the hassle of trying to clone the script and get
> it in all of the appropriate places - a backscript will sit "behind"
> all of your open stacks and should get called reliably without having
> to set any scripts of cloned stacks.

Thanks Brian! This does work, so I can now get the funtionality I need
with my app. But it still doesn't answer the question (for me at
least) as to why I couldn't get this to work without a back script.

If I've got two (and only two) stacks open and each has the following
ShutDownRequest handler:

Stack 1:
on shutdownrequest
  answer "Really, really Quit?" with "No" or "Quit"
  if it is "Quit" then pass shutdownRequest
end shutdownrequest

Stack 2:
on shutdownrequest
  Send "shutdownRequest" to stack 1
end shutdownrequest

shouldn't I always get the shutdownRequest handler in stack 1
activated regardless of which stack is in front?

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein