easy question? & Tiger weirdness revisited

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Mon May 23 08:41:22 EDT 2005

Howdy all!

I have what I hope is an easy question that has me stumped.

I took the discussion last week about why custom properties are so
fast to heart and made some major changes to an enormous stack of
mine to drastically reduce the file size and make it run much
faster.  I'm not a coder, just a rev user that profits immensly from
reading the posts on this list, so my original project has been
rebuilt countless times as I learn better ways to do things.  For
example as a result of the custom props speed discussion, I made a
the simple change of putting several buttons in the background and
using the preopenCard handler to look at a custom propery to
determine whether a button should be visible.  Before, I had up to 4
superfluous identical buttons on thousands of cards, which bloated
the file size and make it crawl at a snail's pace in the IDE.  The
thing I haven"t solved is re-marking certain unmarked cards without
having an extra object on those cards.  It used to be:

mark cds by finding "blahblah" in fld "reMark"

I want to get rid of the superfluous fields and text, so far no
luck.  I have tried several things like

unmark this cd
set the reMake of this cd to true

When I want to mark the cards again, I tried

mark cds where the reMake is true

- this just don't work - I have tried everything I could think of
from the docs using "by" and "where" but I must be missing something
here.  As you can see, my coding skills are practically non-
existent.  I am convinced that this should be really easy, and being
the absolute poster child for creating pretty good apps with the help
of all you re-listers out there, I gotta ask: what am I missing here?

Cheers

Lars