Use french special caracters in an XML file.

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 05:47:08 EDT 2005

--- Damien Girard <dam-pro.girard at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I make a database (in XML), in this database, user
> can write information
> about a lot of things, but I have tried my software,
> and I see a really
> nasty bug, and I didn't know how I can solve it.
>
> French special characters (éèçàù) doesn't work, I
> have got a strange
> return instead of the good characters. (For exemple,
> é -> é$$)
>
> So, I think I need to encode the text, but how I can
> encode it ? Runrev
> provide a function that permit to encode text ?
>
> This database will treat a lot of data, so this need
> to be really fast.
> (Without any encoding, this is really fast.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Damien GIRARD

Hi Damien,

Other than the earlier suggestions of htmlText and
UTF-8, you can always change the encoding attribute at
the start of your XML-file:

That's what we use at work to preserve special
characters when exporting data from our PROGRESS
databases.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution