Update on my progress

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 20 20:42:40 EDT 2005

Thomas McGrath III wrote:
> I have been coding non-stop now for three weeks. Some days I put in over
> eighteen hours, waking up in the middle of the night and coding ideas
> down.
> In contrast our Macromedia(Adobe) Director GURU spent two months on the
> engine and three weeks on just one of the games and he got most of it
> wrong. Many days of testing and asking him to make corrections and
> explaining what I need and what I meant.
>
> I have been able to do it all in less than three weeks. Way cool.......

I love spurts of intense activity like that.

One of the best programmers I've ever known pretty much lives in cycles
like that:  intense non-stop flow zones for a few weeks, then takes a
couple weeks off to drive around the eastern seaboard checking out good
bands.

Sure, cycles like that can confuse spouses and pets, and it's probably a
good idea to make sure you drink plenty of water (food is optional but
water is a sometimes-forgotten necessity).  But to paraphrase the old
Taoist masters, "Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired, code
when you're inspired." :)

Congratulations on getting the job, and done well.

> I plan on going camping for a week after this.

Where will you go: desert, mountains, or seaside?

I've been tempted to throw a SoCal Rev Campout in which we try the most
daring of survival stunts:  to see if a group of Rev developers can
spend the night in the desert without Rev.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation