OT about size... Re: [OT] Is there a relationship between Xtalk languages andsmalltalk?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri May 20 14:58:03 EDT 2005

Mark Wieder wrote:

> I'm constantly reengineering my old code, too, but I find that it
> generally *grows* in size as I go back and add more comments. Trying
> to do things in fewer lines can also sometimes lead to emphasizing
> cuteness over readability.

Amen, Mark.

I also find I end up adding more error handling code as I go.
My coding style favors 'readability' over compactness, speed and
'debugability' (is that a word?). For many tasks I attempt, such as
internet acess routines, the speed increases seen by further optimizing
code are largely offset by internet latency issues.

-Chipp