Update on my progress

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Fri May 20 10:44:28 EDT 2005

Well,

I have been coding non-stop now for three weeks. Some days I put in
over eighteen hours, waking up in the middle of the night and coding
ideas down. I put together an engine to handle the complex coding for
looking up database items and for distinguishing commands from text
etc. Then I used the engine to put in English, French, German, Spanish,
Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. I hit the Unicode nightmare and haven't
yet figured it out.  I created a GUI to emulate a PocketPC PDA.
I then built a Navigator and an Editor for the interface. Once this all
looked OK I then started to create tutorial/games to teach our system.
In five days now I have created eight games. WOW. Without REV this
would not have been possible. I created four tile type games and three
trivia type games and a crosswords game but all of them use icons
instead of words/ with words.

In contrast our Macromedia(Adobe) Director GURU spent two months on the
engine and three weeks on just one of the games and he got most of it
wrong. Many days of testing and asking him to make corrections and
explaining what I need and what I meant.

I have been able to do it all in less than three weeks. Way cool.......

Today at 2:00 I am to meet with the Boss to show him the games.

I now feel empowered to work on one of my old project ideas.

P.S. The first few days of coding are clean and well commented BUT then
I started to get lazy. The last few days I left whole sections of
unused code in and didn't comment anything. I just built on what I knew
was working and adapted it to the new games.

I guess I need to revisit everything and clean it all up...... doubt it
though......

Tom

Thomas J. McGrath III
SCS