[OT] Is there a relationship between Xtalk languages andsmalltalk?

Kat katherine.w.c at gmail.com
Fri May 20 06:58:23 EDT 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Someone was going to a lot of trouble to make sure 'multimedia' was
> the next big thing. ....

At least one of those "someones" was (gasp, cough, choke) Bill Gates.
Microsoft sponsored a really good tradeshow in San Jose called
"InterMedia" that I attended in 1993.  It was all about multimedia, and
the delivery/storage medium that was still pretty new then:
CD-Recordable.  The first CD-R inkjet printer, built by Herb Craig, was
being shown in the Trace Optical booth (it wasn't very practical since
at that time printable media wasn't available), Delorme was displaying
their "Street Atlas CD-ROM" (which I still use, one of only 2 Classic
apps I hang onto), and Meridian Data Systems were in a shooting war with
Young Minds Inc. over who could actually deliver systems to allow CD-R
burning across a network.  Of course, YMI's stuff was UNIX-only, but ...

My theory all along has been that Microsoft liked CD-ROM so much because
it allowed them to deliver bloatware....  but then I'm just prejudiced.

Cheers,
Kat
http://cd-info.com