[OT] Is there a relationship between Xtalk languages andsmalltalk?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri May 20 00:45:48 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> One last bit of trivia:
>
> Today the world's most popular multimedia authoring system is Flash, and
> while we know it as a Macromedia product it was actually an acquisition.
>
> Who originally produced it?
>
> FutureSplash, a company owned by Charlie Jackson.

And in fact, FutureSplash was called 'SmartSketch' even earlier. The
same programmers who wrote SuperPaint, which was sold to Aldus along
with SuperCard, Super3D and Digital Darkroom, (and the rest of Charlie's
Silicon Beach companies products) also wrote FutureSplash.

> PS: in the early '90s a magazine premiered called "New Media" -- anyone
> here have the first two issues?

Perhpas. We were awarded the New Media Award of Excellence that very
first year for our SuperCard project "MarsBook", a 3d walkthrough of a
Mars Habitat we designed for NASA and Johnson Space Center.

Interesting story, I was asked to come to San Jose to pick-up the award
and told to wear a tuxedo. Of course, no self-respecting Apple type
would be caught dead in a tux, but I did go there. It was amazing, like
the Oscars for Multimedia. They had TV cameras, red carpet,
teleprompters, and around 4000 people -- and me the only one in jeans;-).

Someone was going to a lot of trouble to make sure 'multimedia' was the
next big thing. I think there were only 8 Awards of Excellence given,
and we were proud to have gotten one of the first. My good friend Dan
Backus, wrote 'ADAM' a medical dissection multimedia project in
SuperCard, and he won the covetted 'Best of Show.' For a number of years
after, the Invision Awards were among the most elite awards in
Multimedia-- though it never exceeded the hype and production of that
first year.

-Chipp