Internet speed test (was.. without title :-)

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue May 17 18:44:39 EDT 2005

Hi Eric,

I think your plan is a good one provided your web site is hosted on a
very reliable server. You may have problems if your site is down but
the person is connected. If the plugins require access to your web site
then this is a vlid check, however if you are just checking for an
internet connection, you may want to have a backup plan. If the initial
connection to your site fails, try opening a socket to Google or some
big, reliable site. If this fails too, you can assume they are off
line.

As regards speed, you are downloading a tiny file, but I wonder is it
faster just to try opening a socket and not actually downloading
anything? In my experience, all these methods are fast enough if the
connection is OK, but you need to test the timeouts if there is no
connection as they can be very slow.

Cheers,
Sarah