Split to Array on Repeat Skips Every Other Line??

Phil Jimmieson P.Jimmieson at csc.liv.ac.uk
Mon May 16 06:38:18 EDT 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:
>Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>>OK, well I solved the problem by taking the split out of the loop
>>to a function, now it works. But I still think this is a bug.
>>
>No, I don't agree. The docs say very clearly
>
>>Important!  You cannot change the labelVariable in a statement
>>inside the loop. Doing so will cause a script error. You can change
>>the content of the container, but doing so will probably produce
>>unexpected results.
>
>since "split" does change x (into an array, and to a different
>value), you're breaking the rule, and can't expect this to work.

Hi Alex,
thing is that this *used* to work in an earlier version of Rev. I
can't remember which version broke it, but one day my scripts were
working, and the next (after an update) they didn't... Took me a
while to figure out what was going wrong (and I bugzilla'd it).

It would be really helpful if the documentation explicitly mentioned
that split on a foreach variable will have this effect.

--
Phil Jimmieson  phil at csc.liv.ac.uk  (UK) 0151 794 3689  (Mobile) 07976 983164
Computer Science Dept., Liverpool University, Chadwick Building, Peach Street