Getting started with Rev Databases

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 14 13:22:53 EDT 2005

Mark Wieder wrote:
> FDEJ> I think the revdb_ things are leftovers from an older version of the
>
> That's my understanding as well. Backwards compatibility.

It's not an abbreviation.  Are the underscored ones depricated?  Did I
miss the note about deprication in their docs?

> FDEJ> A "cursor" in the sense used by the revCloseCursor command refers to a
> FDEJ> pointer of sorts, but it is not the mouse pointer.  When you query a
>
> The term "cursor" is a traditional term in database usage to mean "a
> pointer to the current record". I suppose I can see how this might be
> confusing if someone didn't read the documentation. <g>

Precisely.

I started on this exercise because I need to write and API and
documentation for a database engine I've been working on (it's too
specialized to warrant going into here), and that led me to wondering
"How do newcomers to Rev learn about databases?"

With the "revDatabase" prefix used inconsistently it's possible to
overlook relevant commands, since, as you noted, you can't just skim the
command list but must instead read each entry.

As for CURSOR itself, while it's commonly used for "CURrent Selection Of
Records" it predates GUIs and has been in conflict with more general
usage to refer to the pointer ever since.

On second thought, it was a poor choice back then because AFAIK Cursor
has always been used to describe the flashing insertion point in a text
display.

So as long as I'm defining my own API I have the opportunity to correct
such accidents of history, so while I'm mirroring much of revDB I'm
changing Cursor to CurSel. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation