Ken Burns Effect in Rev?

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:58:54 EDT 2005

On 5/14/05, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Chipp Walters wrote:
> >> try in the message box:
> > go URL "http://www.gadgetplugins.com/chippstuff/KBmain.rev"
>
> I apppreciate your putting that together, but alas on my 1GHz Mac it's
> fairly choppy.  :(
>
> Does it look smooth on your machine?

Hi Richard,

It looked choppy on my 1GHz Mac also. Try changing the script of the
Ken Burns Effect button to this:

on mouseUp
  lock screen
  set the defaultStack to "KBMain"
  set the rect of img 1 to 0,0,1200,1200
  set the rect of img 2 to 0,0,1200,1200
  set the loc of img 1 to 200,200
  set the loc of img 2 to 200,200
  set the blendLevel of img 1 to 100
  set the blendLevel of img 2 to 0
  put item 1 of the loc of this cd into tX
  put item 2 of the loc of this cd into tY
  unlock screen
  repeat with x = 0 to 100
    lock screen
    set the blendlevel of img 2 to x
    set the blendlevel of img 1 to 100-x
    put the loc of image 1 into tLoc1
    put the loc of image 2 into tLoc2

    subtract 1 from item 1 of tLoc1
    subtract 3 from item 2 of tLoc1
    add 1 to item 1 of tLoc2
    add 2 to item 2 of tLoc2

    set the loc of image 1 to tLoc1
    set the loc of image 2 to tLoc2
    wait 1 millisecond -- this is the key to smoothing things out a bit
    unlock screen
  end repeat
end mouseUp

I changed how the images move but the key is to add a wait at the end
of the loop. Rev is apparently so fast that it only shows every 5th or
so increment through the loop so it seems to jump in discrete blocks.
Adding the wait smooths things out quite a bit, althought it's still
not as smooth as iPhoto.
--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein