Database suggestions?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat May 14 01:28:59 EDT 2005

Hi Ken,

Here's a couple of things you may want to consider.

If the database is to be used by more than one concurrent user at a
time, then you will need record locking and perhaps transaction
capablity as well (rollbacks, etc.). In this case, SQLite is out of the
question as it's strictly a single user solution.

MySQL or PostgreSQL will both work fine. Here's a couple of Pro's/Con's
for them:

1) MySQL is not really a 'free' solution. If you are creating a
commercial product, you need to pay for it. See their website for details.

2) MySQL has probably better support and more online tutorials as it's
more used.

3) PostrgreSQL works well and is free, but doesn't have 'native' RevDB
support...IOW, you'll need to use the ODBC connector to get it working,
and I'm not too sure how easy that is. You could check with Trevor or
Pierre for more information.

All 3 databases (MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL) have a great following and
have literally thousands of installations and helpful users.

HTH,

Chipp