-1 as last item problem

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri May 13 22:00:33 EDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:

> Notice the missing last comma on the second line.  It does not matter
> how many commas I append, it will always leave off the last one unless
> there is another character at the end.  Unless I do not understand how
> this is supposed to work, this is a bug.  Yes?

I believe the way it works is correct.

It accommodates the best compromise in being able to represent both an
empty list and a list of one item that is empty.

If comma is between, then those look the same.  You can't represent
both.  If the comma is after, then you can represent both.

Now a comma in between is just fine for lists that do not have any
empty items.  In that case, the empty string means the empty list.  So,
for non-empty items, the traditional list is fine.

If items can be empty, then it would be better to represent lists with
the comma at the end of each item.  In both cases the number of items
and item representation works.

The same applies to lines.  I think that is easier to accept.  For
items, it is harder; a comma should go between things.

Dar Scott