Using FS, GS, RS and US (was A question about certain ASCII characters...)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed May 11 12:48:21 EDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 7:28 AM, Lynch, Jonathan wrote:

> I like to use ascII characters 28-31 as item delimiters. These are
> characters that are actually set aside for this purpose within the
> ascII
> character set.

Intriguing idea!

(BTW, there is no 2 in ASCII, pronounced as as-Key according to my worn
1977 copy.)

For those wondering what he's talking about:
Characters decimal 28 through 31 of the control characters of ASCII
have the names FS (file separator), GS (group separator), RS (record
separator) and US (unit separator).  There are no semantics defined,
only that those on the left are bigger than those on the right.

Do you ignore Transcript items and lines or are they integrated into
that hierarchy?

Perhaps a hierarchy can be like this:

array (where allowed)
file (this name might cause confusion)