Useless ToolTips in the property Inspector

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue May 10 17:20:05 EDT 2005

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> I see, but even in such
>
>>   Lock Text   and tooltip is    lockText
>>

>Tooltip show tell me WHAT this option do.
>
>Assume I do not know that is Lock Text (and I do not know now :-)
>So tooltip do not help me.

I can certainly see your argument - but I personally prefer the brief
reminders such as "Tab on Return" - that reminds me what it does; I
would find the long-winded (or maybe I should say "more informative")
style a bit cumbersome. Given that I have a good idea what most of these
do, short reminders are better for me than a (bound to fail) attempt to
provide full documentation in an over-constrained space; for the ones I
don't already know, I *should* read the full page of documentation (or
have the chance to read it).

You can look up the property name in the Documentation (which is not
true of the brief description - so it's useful to have both description
and propertyName available). Clearly, it would be quite easy to take the
summary description out of the propertyName's documentation and use it
for the tooltip - so this would be a great enhancement suggestion. I
think your version would be better for most people - who don't approach
documentation in the same way I do.

If you haven't yet used Bugzilla, I'd suggest you enter this suggestion
as an enhancement request.