Undelete deleted .rev file on MacOSX

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:21:25 EDT 2005

On 5/9/05, scott Yang <scotttyang at yahoo.com> wrote:

> big problem.  deleted a sacred .rev file.  Now on OSX,
> not easy to recover.  Afraid to even use this computer
> for fear of over writing file.  Any suggestions on
> recovering .rev files on the Mac OS X 1.3.9

File recovery under OSX is much more difficult than it was under OS 9.
If you don't already have file recovery software in place before you
lose something, it will be very difficult to recover the file,
determine its place in the file hierarchy, recover metadata about the
file (creation date, etc.).

However, I have had some success with a couple of programs. Subrosa's
FileSalvage works pretty well, but it only recovers a pre-set group of
file types (JPG, TIF, MOV, AVI, Word, etc.). Rev files are not
included in this list.

Norton Ultilite's UnErase lets you specify your own filetypes to
search for. I just set up a search for Rev file types and it was able
to find and recover previously erased files. It doesn't provide any
information about where in the file hierarchy the recoveried file was,
nor does it even recover the file name. You only have file size to go
by. If you haven't used your hard disk since you erased the file, you
probably have a good chance of recoverying it.

Note that many people feel that Norton has blown it with OSX support
and that it often causes more problems than it fixes. YMMV.

--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein