QT Applescript. Bit OT (was Tiger problems...)

Chris Carroll-Davis chris at carroll-davis.co.uk
Fri May 6 12:20:37 EDT 2005

(Sorry folks, this is going off-topic, I think. But I'll post just in
case someone has a suggestion!!)

> Could it be a licensing issue?  Does QT7 require a new Pro license
> to script some features?

Richard - I don't think that is it.  They have definitely changed
stuff.  I don't have things to hand at moment, but here's one thing I
can remember off the top of my head that causes us real problems...

We are manipulating some large QT movies using Applescript/QTPlayer.
e.g. taking an NTSC size movie with an alpha channel (very large
because it requires the use of the "none" compressor) and adding a
second movie behind it, then adding a sound track, cropping as
necessary.  Now with Panther/QT6.5 we could then save this file "with
dependencies" to make a movie that was literally just a few k in size
(i.e. very quick to save) This was easy to do, because the default
save option in QTPlayer was this form.

If we wanted to remove these dependencies we could save the movie
with the AppleScript command "Save self contained". This takes a long
time and produces very big files (>1Gb).  This has all changed.  The
default option is now to save self contained, but there is no
applescript option to "save with dependencies", so like it or not, we
always end up with *massive* files that take ages to save!  (if any
kind soul does have any suggestions on this one, I'd be soooooo
grateful.  This is a bit of a killer for us.)

I'm pretty sure they have also changed the way in which QTPlayer
applescript stores internal references to open movies (but I might be
wrong here, memory going in old age)

Chris