put into URL not "putting"

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu May 5 17:09:58 EDT 2005

On 5 May 2005, at 20:00, Derek Bump wrote:

> Would someone be so kind and please analyze the following script to
> tell me why it will only write the data to the Preferences file just
> once, and every time afterward it will not write anything?
>

> on setPref prefName,prefData
>   put prefData into preferencesData[prefName]
>   put the keys of preferencesData into theKeys
>   repeat with x=1 to the number of lines in theKeys
>     put line x of theKeys & "=" & preferencesData[(line x of theKeys)]
> &cr after newData
>   end repeat
>   put newData into url ("file:Preferences.dat")
> end setPref

  A couple of points.

Is preferencesData declared as a global (or local) variable somewhere?
(e.g. at the top of the script.) If not, the data won't persist and the
array will only contain a single element (the one just added) when you
get to the repeat loop?

You should check "the result" after the Put ... into url line. This
will tell you if an error occurred.

Ex.

    put newData into url ("file:Preferences.dat")
    if the result is not empty then
       answer the result
    end if

Dave