[Fr] [En] Re: French list

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Thu May 5 14:39:53 EDT 2005

Well,

I don't want to sound pompous, but I'm convinced that
the ideas, concepts & ambitions behind the original
design of Xtalk languages went far beyond the idea of being
a kind of "Klingon"...
It has much more to do with the way algorithms are understood
& memorized by newbies and other concepts in ergonomics...

Oddly this thread might take us back to another discussion that
pops up at times : the addition of syntactic elements from other
languages (x+=1 for instance)...
I've always been opposed to that kind of idea, not because I see
it as an heresy nor because I'm a purist, but because I don't see
any reason to add background noise or useless complexity to
Xtalk structure...
Some say that they're more used to "x+=1" than "add 1 to x",
but that's kind of weird : they're so deeply "influenced" (sorry
can't find a more suitable word) by their habits in coding in a
specific language that they feel less confortable in a language
that is much closer to natural english...

To jump back to the original topic of this thread, I'd like to
remind a good advice given by any teacher of foreign language :
if you want to learn to speak english (or any foreign language),
first think in english...
In the same vein, I don't think it's a good idea to write "a flow-chart
a-la-Basic" to understand an undocumented & complex script...
Better write some elegant & well documented xtalk code from the
beginning... IOW if you want to code in xtalk, first think in
xtalk...
That's why I wrote previously : it'll make sense to have french
posts on this list when a french version of Transcript is available...

But of course, I don't want to hinder anyone from posting in the
language of his/her choice... I love cultural diversity !

JB