Rev and Photoshop

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu May 5 13:42:39 EDT 2005

Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
>> Sivakatirswami wrote:
>> I actually stopped work on that library, and switched to using a  set
>> of tools and utilities via shell. The ones I use are at
>> http://home.arcor.de/ahuggel/exiv2/   and  reportedly work (or can
>> easily be made to work) on Mac ( as well as Win and Linux which is
>> what is directly supported). What I do is use them to bulk-extract
>> the info I want from a directory at a time, then process those
>> separate files in Rev, and then use the tools to re-insert the data.
>>
>> I do however agree - having the metadata as part of the file is the
>> right way to do it (until we get metadata aware file systems which
>> will ensure that the metadata goes everywhere the file goes). I use
>> this extract-modify-reinsert as a purely transient state, I try not
>> to leave significant data in the additional files for any length of
>> time,
>

> thanks for the URL, very interesting...
>
> But maybe you can give me a hint (or two :-)
>
> When i use the ugly dosbox it works fine, if i put everything in my
> "homefolder"
>  -> C:\Documents and Settings\klaus
>
> But when i try the same command in Rev with:
>
> put shell("exiv2 test.jpg")
>
> i get an error and the result is not empty (but also not the wanted
> info ;-)...
>
> How can i put the returned values into a field in Rev and how can i
> define WHERE the app "exiv2.exe"
> and my image are located on my hd within "shell"? Know what i mean?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

Well, Klaus, first I have to confess that what I *actually* do is just
run the exiv2 utility from an ugly dosbox (actually, a clean, sparse,
elegant Emacs shell buffer :-), then run my Rev script, then run the
utility again .....  (I do this once a month - wasn't worth the coding
time to build it into a script)

But it can be done from Rev and shell ... I'm not an expert in this, so
there may be easier ways than this ....

> put shell("exiv2 test.jpg")

I think a shell is run in the current defaultFolder of Rev - is that set
to your home folder ?

Here's a script I have used; note I ran into trouble with quoting of
file names containing spaces - I eventually figured out that I needed to
quote the command name, and I cheated and moved the files into a folder
with no spaces in its name, so the "answer" I give when I run this is
something like "D:\Downloads\aaa"
I can't find a form that works when my photo folder is say "D:\Our
Documents\exiv2-0.6.1-win\aaa"