Writing a file to another computer on the LAN?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed May 4 10:28:13 EDT 2005

Malte Brill wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I´m new to all this Networking stuff, so please be patient. ;-)
>
> What I want to do is create a set of folders and files on another
> computer connected to a small LAN.  How do I go about this? I
> configured my router to assign a static IP to one of the computers
> (running OsX). I now can get files from library/webserver by using
>
> get URL "http://staticIPAdd/test.txt"
>
> but I can´t use
>
> put "blah" into URL "http://staticIP/test.txt"
>
> ->Error 405 Method not allowed
>
> How do I go about this? How can I write text to a file on the other
> machine? Can I write to a different folderthan library/webserver?
> Thanks a lot!

There are lots of options .... probably too many :-)

1. Change your webserver to allow "http put" operations.
Most webservers disallow this, and will default to disallowing it, but
you can change the config to allow it. It's generally disallowed because
it opens a security hole by allowing other people to write to your
webserver - but if this server is simply serving an internal network for
some app, not open to the wide, dangerous, world that could be OK.
Google for "xxx allow http put" where xxx is your webserver, and you'll
find instructions - especially if xxx == Apache.

2. Export and mount files systems, and access them through that.

3. Run a FTP server on the server, and use put URL "ftp://...." etc.

and many, many others.