libDatabase 2 testers

Trevor DeVore trevor at mangomultimedia.com
Tue May 3 03:04:57 EDT 2005

I'm to the point with libDatabase version 2 that I could use some
testers.  libDatabase is a database abstraction library built on top
of revdb and the Valentina XCMD.  It allows you to interact with your
database using arrays (fetches, inserts and updates) and hides all db
cursor management.

You can read about the current version at <http://mangomultimedia.com/
developer/revolution/libDatabase_article.html>.

This version adds a number a couple of things:

1) Support for converting from one database to another.  For example,
one call creates a SQLite or Valentina database from your MySQL db.
2) Supports binary data using binding in revdb (prefix field names
with *b)
3) Supports "mapping" of encodings.  The library can optionally map
mac to iso, utf8 to utf16, ansi to utf16 and ansi to ut8 when
fetching/updating/adding records.
4) There are functions for "translating" between different sql
dialects (Thanks to Len Morgan for the idea).  Currently there are
functions for translating create and insert statements.

So far the library has been tested with MysQL, SQLite and Valentina.
Right now there is support for converting from MySQL to SQLite or
Valentina but the framework is in place to support any type of
conversions that one would care to code.

There have been a lot of changes under the hood so I'm looking for
anyone interested in testing the library out and providing any
feedback.  If you use PostgreSQL and would like to test things out
then we should be able to get PostgreSQL working with the database
conversion functions as well.

Anyhow, if you are interested then drop me a line off-list.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com