Prefs and Settings - best practices

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue May 3 01:00:52 EDT 2005

Hi Richard,

For various reasons, we choose not to use MC on the server. The big one
being it's unusual high use of resources per connection. Though Pierre
has a nice workaround for it using Perl (or is it PHP?), we pretty much
standarize on either MySQL or MS SQLserver.

I ran into this problem with Item Wizard launch/config files in our
Hemingway Content Management System. Originally I had authored them as
small read-only stacks, but then found I couldn't create them
dynamically from the server w/out installing the MC engine, which we
didn't want to do. I ended up re-authoring them in XML.

So, now, I think carefully about whether or not the file can be created
in XML, and if so, I tend to use it instead of stacks. BTW, I think I
remember Geoff Canyon ahwile ago created a STACK->XML->STACK utility.
Pretty cool, but I couldn't figure out what I'd do with it, now I know!

best,

Chipp