How to start Rev by shell or startup item in the background under Mac OS X

Todd Higgins higginsta at mac.com
Mon May 2 20:14:51 EDT 2005

Hi,

Keep in mind that with Tiger (10.4), Apple is providing a new method to
start  daemons, and other background services -launchd.  It is part of
the both the client and server.  I would imagine that if you were
deploying your app on 10.3 or lower you could package it up just like
you do for linux.  But 10.4 on up it looks like launchd is the way to
go.

 From Apple's website:

launchd provides faster startup through a unified framework for
starting, stopping and managing daemons, and incorporates inetd, init,
mach_init, System Starter and related services. Administrators have a
single mechanism for auditing, configuring and setting resources limits
on services.

Regards,

Todd

On May 2, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> Hello to All,
>
> I use Rev as a deamon server (alike Apache, PostgreSQL and so on - not
> just as a CGI engine) under the linux platform in starting stack's
> instances in the Init System V way. I would be interested to know if
> anyone can say if it is possible to get the same result under the Mac
> OS X platform and if yes, how to set up Rev to be able to start it as
> a deamon application (witch engine and librairies, how to build the
> start-up adequate component) ?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
> Pierre Sahores
>
> 100, rue de Paris