revGoURL Not Working in Tiger?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun May 1 22:07:55 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
> OK, then it must be something here. Thanks for the reality check.
>
> I had a TERRIBLE time with the upgrade (mostly my fault) so I  probably
> clobbered some vital setting.

Your initial reaction is completely understandable given Apple's history
  with such things.

Remember GURLGURL?  That was the Apple event ID and class for sending
the default browser to any page, local or remote, for many years.

That is, until OS X.  Without even posting a tech note Apple yanked
GURLGURL support for local web pages, requiring all developers who had
been relying on it to rewrite their code to use the AppleScript "open
location..." instead.

That was a hard lesson to learn, but a valueable one: trust nothing in
any OS vendor's API, as ultimately everything is subject to change
without notice.

By jumping in with a fix as soon as the issue was known, the Rev team
pulled off something the Apple team couldn't be bothered with:  revGoURL
  continues to support your call to it regardless of which OS version
you're calling it from.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation