Draw over existing objects

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 05:54:42 EDT 2005

--- "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'm creating a custom report layout editor to be
> included with a commercial
> software product, and would like to be able to
> scroll larger report
> layouts rather than splitting them into separate
> windows.  I am now
> realizing various issues with my current
> implementation (which uses
> separate windows for each section -- this isn't the
> problem I'm trying
> to solve, but I'd like to fix it anyway), and in
> considering starting
> over, I'd like to get this done right this time,
> including a scrolling,
> resizing window representing the report layout.  I
> want it to act like
> a drawing program, to make life a little easier for
> the end users.
>
> And looking at the reports product which has been
> brought up on this
> list previously:
>
> 1. I want to distribute the editor with the product,
> which would
> seemingly require a royalty fee (or at least an
> expensive custom
> version purchase), which I'm trying to avoid.
>
> 2. The product will gather information from a
> database, and I want the
> layouts stored on the database server itself, rather
> than files on a
> disk.
>
> 3. The editor brought up on the list allows use of
> Rev functions, etc.
> in fields, and I don't want to risk users picking up
> on the functions,
> etc. which I have included in the (rather large,
> complex) product and
> misusing them.
>
> 4. I'd like the editor to be a separate program, so
> that I can have it
> shared between several products in a series.
> Information about the
> various types of reports which layouts can be
> generated for should also
> be gathered from information which an installer will
> populate the
> database with.  This includes a list of available
> sections, fields,
> etc. for any given report (and there will be a
> different set of
> sections possible with different types of reports).
>
> I could go on, but I think you get the idea by now.
> The editor is
> somewhat specialized, but I want it to look a bit
> more professional
> than a too-highly specialized tool.
>
> Of course, dragging the palette window around to
> make a toolbar isn't
> particularly professional-looking, either...
>
> Please Rev, let us specify a different tool for a
> single group placed
> on a card!  Please...
>
> Or at least let us scroll entire windows, rather
> than just groups: I
> could stand to use a floating palette if that
> helps...
>

> -

> [...]

Hi Frank,

As the programmer of Quartam Reports I know how you
feel about certain limitations Revolution imposes when
it comes to building drawing apps. Believe me, even my
neighbours know about them by now. *grin*

However, I'm a little sad that you didn't contact me
before dismissing the option of a custom version for
your product. A quick check of your above list of
requirements shows me that it would not have been
difficult to accomodate your needs.

Without knowing the amount of hours you have already
spent and are going to spend on making your own tool,
nor your hourly rate, a custom version might very well
have beaten the cost and let you concentrate on adding
core features to your application.

Of course everyone plans and acts out his own
projects, but sometimes it's more economical. And if
you don't ask, you won't know.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution