Speech in standalone - help!

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Mar 31 22:58:18 EST 2005

> I need some advice on how to get speech working in a standalone app.
> I'm working on a (for me) big video script-writing utility that I want
> to feature a preview facility using text-to-speech.  (OS X only)
>
> Now... speech works easily in development version running with Rev,
> but when I build a standalone, it fails.
>
> Here is a simple rev stack with one button and one field:
> www.chriscd.dsl.pipex.com/Speech_test.zip
>
> The development stack works fine.
>
> The OS X app doesn't work.  I *did* select speech as an option in
> standalone maker, but no external resources seem to be copied over.  I
> note that on the Windows side, "revspeech.dll" gets copied to
> destination.  Should there not be some kind of OS X equivalent
> (presumably, "revspeech.bundle" ?)  I tried manually copying this file
> to the application root, but still nothing.  What am I doing wrong?

Some versions of Rev had a problem copying OS X externals to the
applications and then sometimes wouldn't even use them if you copied
them manually.

You need to open the OS X application bundle after it is built -
right-click or control-click on the application and choose "Show
Package Contents". Burrow down through the folders: Contents -> MacOS
-> externals
I would guess that the externals folder is empty - copy the
revspeech.bundle manually to this folder and try it again. If this
still doesn't work, alter your "enableLibraries" handler to point to
the right place and see if that helps.

Upgrading to the latest version of Rev will also solve this :-)

Cheers,
Sarah