More Image problems

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Mar 31 15:48:08 EST 2005

Recently, Lynch, Jonathan  wrote:

>>> Couldn't you just have an invisible cursor, and an image that kept
>>> itself at the exact location of the cursor at all times? That way, the
>>> "cursor" could be anything you want.
>>
>> If you move the cursor outside of the rect of a window, your cursor
>> image
>> will disappear.  This type of thing needs to be handled by the engine.

> I agree it should be handled by the engine.
>
> However - if you want your cursor stay the same, then you can have a
> stack shaped to a particular image, and have that stack move around with
> the cursor.
>
> Or, the script can reset the cursor to normal when it moves out of the
> window - whichever behavior is preferred.

You're correct, in some specific cases, it's definitely possible script
workarounds, such as the window solution you suggest (run the following in
the message box for an example):

 go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/custom_cursor.rev"

(The fun part is clicking the pointer tool and then adjusting the controls.)

But there are still situations where a scripted solution breaks or causes
headaches.  If you use mouseMove in a front script to handle cursor
movement, the script will stop as soon as the mouse leaves a Rev window
region.  If you use a looping script, you can get better cursor behavior,
but you may eat up a bunch of processor usage and the script will not
execute during certain mousedown events like dragging windows.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design