About variable.

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Mar 31 14:12:51 EST 2005

I don't think one ever *has to* use a global. Custom properties will,
as far as I can tell, always do the job just fine.

But:

(a) custom properties take a bit more work to set up (longer syntax
and/or through the inspector)
(b) put "hello" into gVariableName is shorter and therefore less
error-prone and more efficient than set the cPropName of this stack to
"hello"

Other than that, I can't think of any reason not to use custom
properties exclusively.

Custom properties have some nice attributes, too. They can store
arbitrary data and their contents can be directly edited in the
inspector. I use custom properties to store long text strings used in
help dialogs and other such places so I can edit them easily in place.