Can Revolution communicate with Excel?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 16:01:26 EST 2005

--- Stgoldberg at aol.com wrote:
> Wow! I'm a new user and really impressed with how
> quick (and accurate) my
> first question was answered.   I thank everyone who
> answered. Perhaps someone can
> also answer the following:   Is there any way in
> which data (e.g. a number)
> calculated at in a Revolution stack can be
> automatically transferred to a given
> cell (field) in an Excel program?   Thanks again.
> Steve Goldberg

Hi Steve,

In addition to the excellent answers you've received
from others, I'd like to point out one of my favourite
ways to connect Revolution and Excel : through Web
Queries -- an idea posted on a rev list almost 3 years
ago by Gary Rathbone, but he hasn't been on in ages.

What it boils down to is that you build a tiny web
server into your application, and connect from Excel
to  that web server, effectively linking part of your
worksheet to this data source.
In Excel 2000, look under the menu Data > Get External
Data > New Web Query...

You can set how often it updates this information, so
that every 60 seconds your Excel worksheet reconnects
to the web server and refreshes the content, without
the need to 'export' from Revolution -- even across
networks and operating systems !

Incidentally, this is an excellent way to allow
interaction between Rev-based applications and other
productivity applications, such as OpenOffice Calc --
an excellent open-source replacement for MS Office.

If you want more information or a copy of the stack
that Gary originally posted on the late Revolution
Newbie Board, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====