Imaged refreshments

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Tue Mar 29 06:30:29 EST 2005

Hi eveyone,

I just released version 2.b371 of HotKeyN2O with a similar Fruity Theme as
in my renewed website. BUT the images are just not working at all as far as
patterns are concerned for controls!

When I open the stack (url below), edit a group, and "simple" tasks alike,
the images loose their patterns or dont refresh the control's patterns even
when the image was preloaded. Palette mode makes it worse... If you load the
image after the stack from an external library, it's not refreshed at all!
You have to change stack modes (for example) to update the patterns... If
the patterns are not in the same group as the controls using them and you
edit the group, again... Just not pleasing after-effects...

I was told to use images in an icon library to avoid image conflicts, but
that solution is even worse in this scenario!

Please advise this poor scripter's soul how to avoid bloatware (I dont like
having the same image with different ids for each stack that uses it!) or
refresh issues - the icon library is a good idea but not if it causes
refresh problems in other stacks... Conundrum?

I usually have 10 - 30 stacks opened (of which 75% reuse images off-stack)!
This problem happens intermitently while opening stacks, resizing stacks,
editing stacks. The library is a great solution - but even without it, the
problem remains.

I dont think im asking too much of the Rev engine either since this is basic
features 101... No scripting involved. I've been affected by this since
GradientsN2O six months ago for which I resorted to a full background
picture but it still fails! At least now I can confirm the behavior!

See for yourself, keep the plug-in mode turned off...
http://www.monsieurx.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=74

Hit the window, disk, pencil or options buttons a few times to see that
sweet GUI feel melt away... The save buttons shows a substack which works ok
but doesnt always show all patterns correctly! Not even 20% of the time here
with heavy stack load!

Im using RunRev 251 on Win2K sp4, with window dragging content = 0n.
Do you have the same on Macs or Linux?

I wrote a similar bugzilla concerning how easy it is to make or have image
ID conflicts which trouble any stacks using those ids as icons or patters
and the pattern chooser just as well becoming rather useless. I documented
it, and even got an answer (!) and told to use the Icon Library approach. I
value freedom of my own approach in stackware design but so be it for good
and bad. Bad refresh quality nonetheless - very bad! How can this be solved?

I know there is more than one issue behind images, transparencies, patterns
(macos patterns!), inks, cursors, fields, etc... I know it's a big field and
support area too for the developper whose effort so far I applaud! But this
is not windows 3.11 anymore... Square or 8 bit level ink operations are kind
of out of style... Patterns only square sizes are as venerable as the 32k
limit and the Appearance manager too is showing its age and practical use in
this respect so we cant make stacks for metal, osx or w95 guis from XP or
W2K3 at all...

All real sarcasms were deleted in case you sensed any... Sorry if it
slipped. I just mean to get some stacks out...

Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/runrev